Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Day in Fukuoka Nature

Three relaxing days of nearly no agenda and the space to be were a great respite from Seoul and the structure of working. One hilarious misadventure (well, two) was that on Monday after I went to the Korean Consulate, I walked to Ohorikoen lake, in part to see a Japanese garden on the south side of the lake. I thought I had found it, but the gates were closed. When I consulted the tourist map I was given at the airport, it turned out that they were closed on Monday. So, Tuesday morning I set out to see another Japanese garden near my hotel in Hakata and...it was closed on Tuesdays I found out upon arrival. So Wednesday became the lost Japanese garden day. I wandered the gardens, drank matcha, and languished in the chilly December air for much of the day and eventually made my way back to the airport for a late flight in a nearly deserted airport, Visa in hand. A successful trip in all of the ways.  

I will post updates from Seoul soon! 


The canal under my hotel (I didn't have this view, unfortunately.)



Rakusien Japanese Garden


Serenity


Traditional matcha tea and sweets


I had a wonderful conversation with these two women - who spoke nearly no English - about balance, harmony, nuclear dangers, Yin/Yang energy, the tranquility of Japan, and warm-hearted people in the tea house. Often, words are far less necessary than we think.





Harmony in the tea house


I loved this tree!


Garden #2 at Ohorikoen







There is ever peace, balance, and nonattachment in Nature. These traits are effortless to resonate with when surrounded by beautiful scenery. 

No comments: