Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Back to the big city

Well, I'm not in Pai anymore. That's what I said to Rob as were coming into the city in our mini-bus. It's a very good thing I came to Chiangmai before Pai. If it were the other way around, I don't think I would have been nearly as happy to spend 8 days in this bustling city. I like Chiangmai, but I really like the slow pace and quiet of Pai with shops & cafes called "Slow Living" and "The Chill Spot". A bit more authentic Thailand, although touristy as anything.

That said, I have about 12 hours left here. I just got a haircut, and I'm doing the last bit of shopping - more shopping?! - at the Night Bazaar this evening, then I'll grab a taxi about 5am to the airport. That will be followed by a 3 1/2hour bus to the shore and a 45 min ferry to the island of Ko Samet. Tomorrow, the beach!

There is one thing that's been bothering me. In Pai there were a handful of blind Thai people, and one with no legs, walking around with karaoke machines and microphones singing for money. I couldn't help but think of "Slumdog Millionaire" and those begging schemes portrayed with the victims being those who lose body parts to collect money for mafia bosses. I heard similar stories about Chiangmai and people who beg on the street with no hands. This is very unsettling to me. The question is, do you give them money? Knowing (or assuming) any cash just goes to the top and not the people with physical disabilities? This is all I could think about as I wandered the streets of Pai last night and saw one such person on every street, walking and singing for hours and hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I race home every day to read your wonderful blog and find out what exciting adventure you have had that day. Thanks for keeping us so informed wth your description and thoughts. Love you.....Mom