Saturday, January 2, 2010

An English Camp Rant

So my school's bi-annual English camp starts tomorrow. This has been the biggest headache for my co-teacher, myself, and all those involved. Instead of the usual 1 foreign teacher, 1 co-teacher and about 80 kids, our camp has 10 foreign teachers, 10 Korean teachers and about 240 students, a very minimal lesson plan and a lot of fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants teaching. It has involved months of crying and bitching and unfortunate misunderstandings between my co-teacher, my principal, and myself. So with camp starting in T-minus 15 hours I just received a "lesson plan" which is so minimal I have to laugh so I don't cry. I'm the only teacher who has received it - and only because I called and called those in charge to complain about the lack of planning - and I'm freaking out a little. Plus they're printing a "book" for our students in which the English is so, so, so poorly written by a Korean. I'm a moderate control freak about my classes and the English program at my school. (For example, I spend at least 1-2hours planning every hour I teach - for my previous camps I've planned for 2 months for 1 week of camp.) This is a BIG lesson in letting go for me and I need to focus my efforts there instead of being really frustrated, confused, and expecting the worst. Especially since I have dinner guests coming over in less than 2 hours, a very messy apartment, and no dinner on the way. AAAAARGHHHH! I hope to report positive results on Friday. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I could really use some peace and surrender if anyone wants to send some my way.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

emilie said...

How did it go? The dinner, the apartment cleanse, and yes, ESPECIALLY the camp? Hugs, my wonderful, conscientious adventuring friend!