Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 1 in Rishikesh

I'm doing most of my writing with pen and paper this week (crazy, I know). Staying at Sivananda's Divine Life Society Ashram is very conducive to silence, turning inwards, and contemplating. It's the time when things tend to "come up", like questions about what I'm doing with my life and how I can be the most benefit to others. I've gotten very into my study of Patanjali's 'Yoga Sutras' the past few months and it's all starting to come together being here. Most of the day is spent in quiet contemplation, either in silent meditation, chanting (bhajan & kirtan), hatha yoga practice, watching pujas (ceremonies), or eating delicious satvic vegetarian food. Surprisingly, in the 3 months since I started this journey, this is the first time I've really been alone! It's a nice change to not have anyone to talk to and to digest everything that's come so far. Today is already day 5 at the Sivananda Ashram. I'll be moving to Parmarth Niketan, another ashram on the Ganges River, on Sunday to start a 12 day Kriya Yoga program.

There's a great energy to Rishikesh, right on the Ganges, surrounded by green hills and mountains, thousands of like-minded people. Of course there are also tons of tourists, dirty streets, beggars, and honking motor-bikes, but it's a manageable amount of noise and crowds compared to some other areas in India. I'm happy to be here.

No comments: