Monday, June 1, 2009

Wow, it's June

You've probably heard about some unfortunate events in Korea in the past 2 weeks or so. I won't go into detail, but my friend Cindy posted a great blog about the sentiments here if you want to catch up. I know things sounds scary from what you get in the media, but people here aren't too worried about North Korea. They're more concerned with the Governer of Jeju who's trying to change and modernize the island in a big way and Lee Myeong Bak, the S Korean President who is none too popular.

This past week, 4 of my Jeju friends left for their home countries including Marcie, my fellow traveler from Seattle last fall, and Jason who I've been dating for a while. And this weekend my friends who work at the Africa Museum are having their goodbye party. These things happen, quite frequently in this lifestyle, but that doesn't make them any less sad. I wish everyone the best as they continue on their path.

On Sunday my co-teacher and I went to the opera "Baekrokdam" at the Jeju Art & Culture Center. Alexa, a fellow EPIK teacher who lives in my building, arranged free tickets for anyone who wanted to go. It was a sensational production. Baekrokdam crater sits atop Mt. Halla on Jeju Island. The opera was written 7 years ago and based on stories and folklore about Jeju and Mt. Halla. The singers were wonderful, the chorale and orchestra (from Jeju) were fantastic, the dancing in traditional Korean & Jeju style was mesmerizing, and the costumes were authentic and beautiful. Korean is a beautiful language for singing and so far I've only been impressed with Korean classical singers. If you have a chance to see this opera as - I hope - it starts to be internationally acclaimed, do it!

Lately I've started to feel the love/relationship with Korea that most foreigners eventually experience. This could also be because my long summer vacation is quickly approaching and I'm greatly looking forward to being back in the US for a month. One minute I'm swearing at Korean drivers as they veer into my lane completely unaware, and the next I'm laughing and thoroughly engrossed in a conversation with a 20year old gas station attendant who's using his best high school English to ask me where I'm from, tell me I'm beautiful and how South Korea and America are friends. On the love end are the beaches on Jeju. The weather in May was warm and sunny for the most part and last weekend I went to the beach 5 times, 4 different beaches. But constantly getting stared at and still not being able to communicate very well are getting on my nerves. I'm trying to re-commit to my daily mantra of "surrender", very important when you're swimming in a sea of Koreans.

Six weeks of school left! Hooray! And that means 3 weeks of teaching, 2 weeks of testing, and then the last week which is anybody's guess. Our summer English camp will be the week after school's out, then I'll have to be at school for 1 more week and then VACATION! Assuming I'm rehired for next year, I'll be coming home to Seattle for the month of August minus a week in NY. I'm starting to fantasize about hummus, Thai food, brunch, Q'doba burritos, and BBQ's. It's the little things you miss.

Sorry about the lack of photos, I'll put some up next week. Happy June!

No comments: