Tuesday, December 2, 2008

December already?

My co-teacher and I went on a little outing last week. Here is San-bong-san, a mountain on the south side of the island. We stopped at O'Sulloc Green Tea Museum for the best green tea ice cream I've ever had. The grounds were beautiful, especially in the warm sunny weather.

Our Thanksgiving party was on Saturday afternoon. My 4th graders made "hand turkeys" and I borrowed some to decorate the lobby. We had about 30 people show up representing most nationalities here on Jeju. I cooked traditional American food: mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and sweet potatoes (my sister's recipe with honey and pineapple). We also had many Korean rice treats - dok and songpyeon, cakes, wine, and Indian and Puerto Rican food. Cindy's co-teachers came with their families. I hope they liked our American food!



Cindy's co-teacher and her daughter, another co-teacher's daughter (in the pink), me, my co-teacher, and Cindy. Cheers!

My friend Ji Yeon and I enjoying our wine

I took Sunday off from adventuring and spent a quiet day at home gazing at Mt. Halla bathed in snow and sunlight. The sky was clearer than I've ever seen it. I did my afternoon yoga practice to this view.

I can't tell you how fast the time is going. It's really hard to believe there's only 3 weeks left of school! Half of my kids I'll only teach 1 more time before the next school year. I'm going to teach some Christmas songs the next few weeks. There are keyboards in most classrooms so I can lead a real music class! I'm looking forward to singing with the kids and teachers. I'm also thinking about teaching a lesson about the multicultural holiday season in America. I got some strange looks when I tried to explain the "other" December holidays in the teachers English class yesterday.

It looks like I'll have a good turn out at my Winter Break English Camp (which I titled "The Best Winter English Camp Ever!"). We already have almost 60 kids signed up, 3x more than the last break camp at our school. I get to plan the camp myself, so those years of teaching camps will come in handy. I think it's going to be tons of fun. Thanks Waskowitz and Village Theatre!

Yoga Class is going really well; we've had new and returning people at each class. We even added a 3rd class every week that Lana is teaching. I'm very happy to be teaching yoga! I also started meditating with some awesome folks in my building once a week. I couldn't be happier with the welcoming communities here on Jeju.

No comments: