Monday, September 22, 2008

A lazy weekend + My first full week of school


Last weekend was the most relaxing yet. Friday night we went out to a few bars in Jeju City including a brew pub called Modern Time where we enjoyed delicious microbrews. The beer in Jeju is reminiscent of Busch Ice or Bud Light. Some are also lemon flavored, kinda like Sprite and light beer. It does leave something to be desired. But this beer was in the wonderful, classic European Microbrew style. After french fries (oh so good), popcorn, kimchi, and beer, Cindy and I wandered City Hall area, the most happenin' place to hang out at night. We found a small bar called The Doors. We bought imported German beer and sat on the rooftop patio relaxing. It was early so no one else was there. Just us, beer, and great classic American rock music. Then we ran into some hagwon (private language school) teachers and had a late dinner with them at a Korean BBQ restaurant.




Mmmm...beer and french fries!





Saturday I slept in (!) did some yoga, and went for a run with Julia. It was a cool, humid day, and we sweat our buns off. Cindy and I went into Emart for some things and had a relaxed dinner at home followed by a bad Kevin Costner movie that we bought at Emart.


Sunday we debated hiking Mt. Halla. There are 2 hikes to the summit that are about 9 hours round trip and 2 shorter hikes about 2 hours each. We didn't get up in time and instead we brunched on the last of my Seattle coffee, pastries and fruit and went to Iho Beach which is the closest beach to Jeju City. The weather this weekend was overcast and raining on and off. We planned on swimming but it was a bit too cold for our blood. So we sat on the beach and enjoyed the quiet day. In the afternoon we played ping-pong at the high school where we live. Then a friend invited me up for fresh caught fish, raspberry wine, and a movie. It was truly a relaxing weekend, something I've been badly needing.
So now it's Tuesday of my first "full" week of school. The first week I didn't teach on Monday, and the last two weeks we've had holidays. Next week is also a holiday weekend, but after that we're solid until Christmas. I'm really settling into teaching and having fun with the kids and the other teachers. I know I've said this before, but everyone here is so friendly and supportive. They really try and communicate with me in what ever capacity their English skills lie and I'm learning Korean once a week with a teacher from my school. I feel like I live here. I get paid this week and hopefully will get a cell phone, and internet in the next week or two. I'm not really in a hurry, I've been getting on fine without them.















Some kids at my school were in an English Play Competition. They put on "Don Quixote". These are pictures from their dress rehearsal.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hello Beautiful Karissa,

Its great to hear that have continued your travels around the world. I know what it is like to forget your TP. Please try and not clog the entire Island of Korea or it may be renamed pooprea.LOL Anywho, I am super happy for you and have enjoyed reading your blog. Take car. Hugs and Love. Your Kripalu Bunk Mate!! Melissa