Sunday, September 28, 2008

It's almost October already!

Fall is rolling in here on Jeju. The weather turned a few days ago and all of a sudden it's cool weather and no humidity. Hooray! I don't really want summer to go, but I can deal with some cool weather. We've had a bit of rain, but mostly overcast or partly sunny skies. (I'm from Seattle, we have 20 different ways to say that!) The leaves should be changing color soon and from what I hear it is a spectacular sight.

Last week ended with an impromptu meeting at the Education Office (I'll refer to it as POE - Province of Education) about an upcoming Foreign Language Festival on Jeju in November. About 50 English teachers came to the meeting and we organized some booths from the different countries represented. Australia only had 1 native member, so I volunteered to join the ranks along with 4 other Americans. So I'll be representing my Aussie family and friends at the 2nd Annual Jeju Foreign Language Festival on November 7th. If there's anything I should be sure to pass on to the classes by all means let me know! After the meeting about 30 of us went to a Pizza place in the city. Julia and I went for a quick beer, then met Cindy and headed down to Yeongyeon for an outdoor concert of traditional Korean music and classical Western music. (pictures above) The night was clear and chilly and the waves crashed into the shore as a full chorus and orchestra played the last 3 movements of the Carmina Burana. It was spectacular. After the concert I went to "the makeli place" with my usual friends and some other foreign teachers who've been here awhile. We drank Makeli, a rice wine that has a little bubble to it, out of individual bowls and ate side dishes (as always) of kimchi, soybeans, tofu, and radish. The restaurant had a great traditional ambiance and was very relaxing. Makeli definitely tastes better than soju and it's effect is a bit more like champagne. And it's very cheap.


Saturday we all slept in and went into City Hall for a brunch at the newly opened Ti Amo coffee. They make fresh Belgian waffles topped with gelato, whipped cream, fruit, and paired with a cup of coffee. See photo collage for the full experience.
Then we headed out to Jeju National University for a Kotesol meeting. We met a bunch of other foreigners there and came back into city hall to continue our evening. This island is getting smaller by the minute. I run into someone I know every day in the city and I'm meeting and getting to know more and more of the foreigners who live here.


Anyway, I decided to check out a classical music thing at Jeju National Museum just outside the city. It turned out to be three outstanding opera singers who gave an intimate recital and knocked my socks off! The soprano (sorry, didn't get their names) sang my favorite aria (Queen of the Night Vengeance Aria from The Magic Flute) and it was the best performance I've ever heard. And in the traditional Korean style, she was stunningly beautiful and her dress was exquisite. Also a great Nessun Dorma by the tenor and an encore of traditional Korean music that the audience stood and sang along with. There are different performances and showings there every weekend so I'm going back again, definately. Saturday night the Led Zeppelin, a bar in City Hall frequented by the foreigner (way-goog in Korean) community, was hosting an Open Mic night. The performers were really fun and just about everyone I know on the island was there. Julia and I stayed out waaaaaaaaaay too late, ending the evening with Kim-bap (Nori rolls Korean style) and Ramyen (Ramen...but oh so good). Our friend Alexa had driven into the city, but none of us were in a condition to drive home so we used a service they have here where you call a company and someone comes to drive you home in your own car. It's very affordable and convenient. Someone should start that at home.




Sunday morning we got up early and took the bus out to Yeongshil, one of the 4 trails up Hallasan (Mt. Halla). Halla is the tallest peak in South Korea and it's incredibly gorgeous. The weather on Sunday was perfect for hiking, partly sunny, cool but not cold, light breeze. 5 of us from my building went and had a really great time. The bus from the city dropped us off 2.5km below the entrance to the trail, so we got to warm-up by climbing up to the trailhead. The trail itself was a good incline mostly paved by wooden steps and lava rocks carved into stairs. Everything is still a lush green from the summer but the colors are just starting to turn and we plan on going back and hiking a different route in a few weeks to enjoy what is said to be a spectacular sight. I'm really glad we did go when it was still green so I can go and enjoy the colors of each season. The full summit trip takes 8-9 hours and you have to reach the peak by 1pm since the parks all close at dusk. That'll be an early day but I'm looking forward to it.










So now we've been to 2 of the 3 UNESCO World Heritage sights on the island. Yet to go are the Underground Lava Caves. There are also 368 oreums, or secondary volcanoes, on the island and those are fun day trips and short hikes. And 13 beaches, 12 of which I have yet to see. And numerous temples, parks, museums, waterfalls, plantations, etc, etc, etc. There's plenty to do here on Jeju. Don't think I'll be getting bored anytime soon. It's almost manderin picking season and we look forward to observing this fall tradition (kinda like apple picking in New England). And a cultural festival next weekend. And a pumpkin festival sometime around Halloween (which they don't celebrate here). Whoo! One day at a time...










I posted more pictures on my kodak site. I took a friend's pictures as well, so there are more of me from her camera from the last month. Check it out...

4 comments:

小喬 said...

wow nice blog!

Anonymous said...

I miss you so much. I love the last picture... you're gorgeous, my love. Thank goodness you're being good about keeping everyone updated about your life. I can't seem to manage an email about mine... :) I'll work on that. I love you!

Unknown said...

Wow!! You are doing a far better job with your blogging than any of my other friends who are over seas so THANK YOU!!
(p.s. those waffles look almost intimidating!)
Miss you!

Liz Warner said...

I am now officially caught up on your blog. I am soooo happy for you! It looks like things are going so well. Those waffles DO look amazing. Any town that has a coffee shop that serves that has to be good. I love that you went to a vocal recital - Koreans are known for their good singers - it's the high cheek bones! Yay for opera on a Korean island! You make a great teacher in pictures btw - as I'm sure you do in real life. Your classroom looks great. But I'm just saying I would cast you as a teacher in a show - it fits. :) Have a great weekend!!