Sunday, September 15, 2013

Eureka! A Palm Tree and Thumbs Up

It's funny...I think to myself when I finally get to a land of internet-accessibility, of which I obviously currently find myself, that I "should" update my blog. Just because I can. From where does this sense of obligation come? From myself and my need to be "known" and "followed"? Perhaps. I believe we all have that need to be seen and known, and I admit that I am no exception. We all want to leave our mark. Another factor is certainly the people I know who are reading and, hopefully, enjoying my weekly updates about life and its inherent wisdom. I often start a visit to Blogger with a check of my viewing stats, which merely is to satisfy my ego and validate my simple existence through words. But it tells me people are reading, or else one person is logging on several times a day...I guess that is as likely as anything.

But to unpack the previous statement: "I 'should' update my blog." I let go of using the word 'should' many years ago. In fact, I believe I wrote an early blog post on that topic specifically. It's funny to feel obligation in the midst of freedom. Today was the first day I really felt the state of liberation that we find ourselves in. We met a very sweet couple yesterday while walking the docks and looking for a new sailboat to take us to San Francisco - story to come - who are rebuilding their sailboat after being caught in a gale a number of miles offshore and having to be towed in by the local Coast Guard. Specifically, I was reveling in the gratitude of being so unencumbered by a specific mode of transport that we own. As nice as it will be to own a sail boat and travel that way, I am grateful that we don't have that responsibility or financial investment now and can leave via plane, train, automobile, or seafaring vessel any time and any place.

So I guess I have finally arrived at feeling at home in my traveling shoes. And it feels comforting. Still being on US soil and waters, I'm not yet in that aforementioned state of getting used to another culture and language, but I'm beginning to get excited about that impending experience. Rebecca, the co-owner of said repair-sailing vessel, was asking me this morning about international travel and how to best approach new cultures. And I thought just a short moment and responded that humility and no expectations are the best approach. You will be humbled, not knowing the language or local customs, and you will be blown away by the kindness and generosity of locals wherever you land. We talked about surrendering to gratitude and accepting a hand from anyone who offers and how you need to lay down your fragile ego to move into that state. This couple has been helped by everyone who passes, including being given a new sail (!!!) by another boat in the marina. Rebecca also asked me to teach her boat yoga (a very specific art) and meditation before we head south tomorrow. And I am reminded that we are duty bound to cross paths with other unencumbered souls open to what the world holds in this particular moment.

So the story with our current travel situation: We arrived in Eureka, California yesterday morning with the early tide after an overnight journey from Brookings, OR. Our first Cali port! The Feral Soul is moving slower than our plane tickets will allow so we are parting ways with our kind hosts and looking for quicker transport to San Francisco. Circus has had a dream to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge for a very long time and so we will manifest that one way or another. Today we decided that we will either bus or hitchhike down the coastal highway tomorrow morning, either to Bodega Bay or San Francisco. If we get to Bodega Bay, we will find another boat to ride under the infamous Golden Gate, which is only 50 miles away. And if San Francisco is our land destination, we will bum around the docks and find a boat for a day sail before our plane to Chicago leaves Wednesday afternoon. We trust that all will be perfect, however it happens.

1 comment:

Tracie Lamb said...

I enjoy reading your blogs, Karissa. You inspire me and it's fun following your great adventures. Thanks!