Sunday, August 22, 2010

Time to move on

The last day of After-School English class - Dong Elementary School

It's almost 2 years to the day since I came to Jeju island. In 4 days, I will leave and begin a new, great adventure. I've learned immeasurable amounts during my time here and the only thing I know for certain about the next 8 months is that I'll learn exponentially more.

But first, to catch up with the past month. July came and went, school ended, I said goodbye to my students and fellow teachers, and of course it was a very hard last week of school with the tragic loss of my friend Kim Kee Jeong. Jason stayed at my place his last week in Jeju and we spent many evenings on the beach saying goodbye. The past 3 weeks have been blur of selling, shipping and giving away the surprisingly large amount of possessions I've amassed in Jeju, cleaning out my classroom and apartment, organizing my upcoming trip, and saying goodbye to friends, all the while trying to enjoy Jeju's beauty and staying present. I think I've pulled it off! With my apartment check-out tomorrow, I'm 95% ready to pass this humble studio on to the next teacher. My travel plans are as organized as they can be and my backpack pretty much packed. I taught my last English class on Friday and my last yoga class today on top of the beautiful Hamdeok Oreum, which means my sabbatical has begun! Until I get on that first plane, however, I won't feel like it's all ending. Or beginning. To be honest, I don't know what that will feel like. There are so many people and experiences I'll miss from Jeju. Certainly I'll miss my school and my 800 wonderful students. I'll miss my fellow yogis and yoga students. I'll miss my friends and co-teachers. I'll miss the beaches and mountains in Jeju, my tiny apartment, the kindness and sincerity of the Jeju people, the stares and random comments from agimas and agashis, the temples, sunsets, and crazy driving. But Jeju will always be in my heart, as will all those I've met here.

Our farewell dinner - they gave me flowers and some beautiful gifts

When I teach yoga, I usually begin the class with a meditation and intention setting. In my attempt to live a yogic lifestyle, I like to take this practice into my everyday life. As I embark on the next chapter, I know it will be full of new challenges, obstacles, and excitement. The intention I have set for the next 8 months is to surrender to the moment. I've planned all I can plan sitting at my computer in Korea. Now it's time to live it and be fully in the moment, every moment. I will be tested, there will be extreme ups and downs, and I'm ready for it all.

Mojitos to celebrate the last week of school with my best Jeju girlfriends - Julia & Cindy

In 4 days I sell my car, give up my apartment and head for Japan. I like to think that an adventure begins when you give up all of your keys. That, to me, is freedom. I'm looking forward to feeling it again.

I'll still be regularly online until around September 13th, so you can expect a few updates between now and then. Om Shanti

Yoga on Hamdeok Oreum

2 comments:

Cindy said...

:) 아싸!!

emilie said...

Have a wonderful time n your next big adventure! ...and all the little ones that will happen at the same time. :)

I love the idea of giving up all your keys...going to be thinking of that for a while.

And of you, friend... see everything, feel even more, and report back when you're able!

xoxo, em